This is an individual assignment. You are required to complete two sets of activity questions. Both will require a quantitative and qualitative approach to your answers. Maximum marks will be awarded on the basis of correct answers supported by relevant accounting reasoning.
This assessment item relates to the course learning outcomes 2 and 4 as listed on page 1.
This is an individual assignment. You are required to complete two sets of activity questions. Both
will require a quantitative and qualitative approach to your answers. Maximum marks will be
awarded on the basis of correct answers supported by relevant accounting reasoning.
A review of a Company Annual Report
You are required to find a 2010 company annual report.
Although the annual reports can be found from the Australian Stock Exchange or direct from the company’s web site, you may find it more convenient to obtain the details via the Connect 4 Further instruction for accessing the database will be available on the Moodle course website.
A. Use your company’s annual report [financial statements] to answer the following
1. Name of the company.
2. The registered address of the company.
3. The industry classification according to the Australian Stock Exchange.
4. What is the period covered in the annual report?
5. Does the report contain Highlight Statements? If so, what are the key points of these
6. What might be the purpose of Highlight Statements?
7. Has the annual report been audited? If so, which company audited the annual reports?
8. What is the purpose of auditing annual reports?
9. List two non-financial pieces of information contained in the financial statements.
10. What financial statements are included in the annual report and what are their purposes?
11. What is the total value of each of the following items at the end of the current reporting year
in the company’s consolidated accounts?
[Ensure you use the consolidated financial figures and provide page numbers from your
i. Cash and cash equivalents
ii. Total current assets
iii. Total equity
vi. Cash flows from financing activities
vii. The profit/loss of the company (after tax)
viii. Earnings per share
ix. Total liabilities
x. Depreciation expense
xi. Purchase of property, plant and equipment
12. How are the assets of the company being financed?
13. Determine whether the company is profitable and in a healthy financial position.
14. Discuss if it is necessary to read the whole of the annual report in order to review the company.
15. Does the annual report serve any other purpose than presenting financial details?
B. Using the statement of cash flows for your company, answer the following questions:
1. Compare the cash from operating activities with operating profit after tax. Are they similar?
If not, suggest why.
2. Compare the cash from operating activities for 2009 and 2010. Are they similar? If not ascertain why.
3. What money was spent on investing activities? How does this compare to the previous year?
4. What financing activities were undertaken? Compare the borrowings from the previous year and suggest reasons for any major changes.
5. What was the amount of any payments made to shareholders? If no payment was made, state the reason why.
Note: You should use the above headings and numbering system as your format with one-half line spacing and 12 font. For details of marking please see the marking criteria sheet later in the profile.
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more