Hi thank you for helping me out this assignment is one of the most important one in my academic career so if you can make sure that i will not have problems with plagiarism, i will be really glad. thank you so much. i will give the other materials too and if you can check below it would really help you. thank you again thank you.
DETAILS ABOUT THE PROJECT
Annotated Bibliography of Sources: This project needs to use course material and 10 outside sources to examine a theory, trend, problem or future development related to the family in society. This project must review the literature on the subject chosen. Each of the 10 outside sources must be explained in terms of the information it provides. Course material on the chosen subject must be explained and referenced. At least eight of the sources must be academic journal articles or numeric data. Guides to finding journal articles and numeric data will be reviewed in class and posted on ANGEL. All sources can be from academic journal or numeric data (for example, Census or United Nations data), but at least three must be. Popular sources can be used if they are relevant to the topic. Remember only two popular sources can be used for credit. Sources that come from the work of nongovernmental organizations can be used if they are relevant. All sources must have full referencing of the writer/author/agency, date and place of publication, publisher and publisher’s location. It is often useful to include the website, but a website name is not adequate as a reference. When using a website, find out who created the site, include full names of organizations cited. Students can include more than 10 annotated sources, but ten must be complete and meet the requirement that at least 8 are from academic journals or aggregate data. It is expected that students attend class and pay attention to the specific requirements of annotations.
Basic Elements of an Annotation: Each Annotation Must Contain All of These:
1. Full source name and citation using an accepted scholarly format. For popular sources, the dates of publication, page and writer, if known are essential.
2. Findings of the source. An explanation of the information, data or theory.
3. The source or foundation of the sources data or conclusions: research or other.
4. The contribution or specific value of this source to your study of the topic.
All of these will be discussed in class. All are important and needed for full credit.
The annotated bibliography must be attached to the analysis portion of the written project. This annotated bibliography, along with course material, should be used to form the 2 page analysis of your chosen topic. Any of the annotated sources should be cited as they are used. Direct quotes require quotation marks and specific citation. Specific mention should be made when using a source’s information or theory. If additional sources are used in the written analysis, an additional reference page is required, offering full citations in an acceptable academic professional style.
CONSTRUCTING AN ANALYSIS: This document suggests no new requirements but may be of help as you construct your analysis.
1. First, remember that you can’t say everything or answer all internal questions posed with each topic. You need to choose a focus that uses 2 – 4 of your annotated sources for support and brings in the contribution of course material.
2. Try to outline your research findings in a couple of ways, looking for your most developed approach to the topic.
3. An analysis can take the form of comparison and contrast, describing a theory about change and supporting it, evaluating a thesis, debating two views of problem solving, or some other in-depth exploration of your topic.
4. For example, an analysis can involve considering a questions that asks you to explain some patterns and then suggest what will happen in 10 years, if present trends continue.
With topic one, after describing the working class family’s situation and taking a
focus on one member, consider what the sources suggest will develop in the
future for the child, adult, senior, single or other family member you chose.
With topic two, after having explained how human agency has enhanced family
survival with support from your sources, consider new family formations and
suggest how the future could be created.
5. Many topics have the possibility of looking at a problematic situation, that you
describe with source support, solutions (policy, education . . ) again from sources,
and finally the chance of improvement, in violence, child poverty, confirmation of
the value of children, the elderly, the family …
6. Teen childbearing could be developed in a problem solving way,
considering teen childbirth a problem and looking at the social and cultural values, rewards, images and other social factors that encourage the pattern.
Here, you could also look at what would encourage a different pattern.
7. The last topic about double consciousness could use sources to explain it and then
focus on the communication between parent and child. The content and/or the
methods of communicating about the existence of double consciousness as the
parent attempts to support the best outcomes in life and consciousness for the
could be analyzed.
Remember, you have covered the details of the description of a source’s contribution in your annotations, this is the place to work with what you have found to explain social life, problems and solutions, trends, outcomes, conclusions or positions. As sociologists, you can extend present trends into the future to suggest what social life may be like for purposes of understanding and intentional change.
Searching Journal Articles
I arrived at Resources, either directly or by first doing a Quick Search
I chose Articles
ProQuest was the search engine I used.
I checked the boxes that allowed me to limit my results to scholarly, peer reviewed journals and only list those that offered full text.
I chose the search for: Child Neglect and Poverty
80 articles were provided for me.
Peer reviewed journals are those that scholars in an academic field have reviewed the articles and considered them done with standard methods, using theory correctly and reviewing the existing literature well. These articles reflect the research in the field. Social scientist do these reviews of literature to understand the current research and analysis in each specialty area. As a scholar, you may eventually sign up for search engine services that will allow you to be notified when new work in your chosen area is printed in a journal. Literature searches will continue to be a critical part of social science, but will probably become increasingly efficient. It may be necessary to search many categories to find what you are looking for. Be careful when reading journal articles to note the studies reported represent a research work with a specific population at a point in time. Generalizability is a question and that is one reason why many articles need to be searched.
Searching Numerical Data
This guide is intended to assist you in your search for sources using the M.S.U. library.
First, get to the “Main Library” from the M.S.U. home page or get directly at: www.lib.msu.edu
Next, looking at the homepage, select E- Resource
Next select Numeric Data
Working with the categories offered, I could have chosen “Gender Studies”, but I picked:
I found: Michigan: State and County
Looking at the Quick Facts from the U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000,
I found the category of Black Owned Firms, seeing the report that told me that Michigan had 6% ownership rates while the U.S. had 5.2%, this helps me document the distinctiveness of Michigan.
I also looked at Detroit as my choice of city, in the dropdown box, and found that 8% of the population was under 5, compared to 6.8% in Michigan as a whole, assisting me in understanding the youth of the city.
The benefit of finding population statistics is that all researchers view them objectively and they can be used for documenting conditions, trends and measurable facts. Social scientists often draw a linear graph of statistical trends to predict the future, with these projections being made “based on present trends”. This is important documentation for social scientists, from researchers to those who seek funding for projects.
It can be frustrating, when doing these searches, that the categories we seek are not available and the creative social scientist needs to be able to make use of available data.
It is also important to remember that social life contains many variables, and that “present trends” may be altered by new variables like new research, social programs, family decision making, work or the environment.
Find the most relevant statistical data, descriptive or comparative, and read about the trends that the data supports. Connect writing or theory about social patterns or change with the data and discuss the way one does or does not support the other. Also important is making suggestions about data that could be more useful.
Suggested Project Topics
You may do your annotated bibliography on the same subject as your analysis, or you may make a change.
The annotated bibliography needs to explore a subject that is covered in this course. Using library search tools and other reference tools, sources are found. Full citation of the source is required and the method used to write it out should be the model of citation used in Diversity in Families. The researcher or writers, the publication, dates(s) of data collected and the location where the material is published are all important. Another researcher should be able to find the material. When using a website, it is necessary to include both the webname and the full name, for example: census.gov and the U.S. Government Census, Department of Labor or specific source. The United Nations data is highly accessible through library search engines (go to the social science research guides online), and while they will be the source, make sure to list the agency that provided the data. Non-governmental nonprofit organizations, of “NGO”’s often have unique data, listing their web addresses as well as their names will allow the reader to understand their access and how to find this source again. Besides the descriptive data provided by governmental and non-governmental organizations, journal articles can be found using the social science search engines with most articles being available online.
It is probably efficient to have the annotated bibliography be about the same subject as your analysis, but they are each evaluated on their own merits and making changes in your topic as you construct your analysis in your choice.
Topics to Consider:
1. Taking a focus on the working class family, in Michigan or in general, explain the changes in the family support system. Choosing the perspective of a man, woman or child, offer insight into changing demands and opportunities. Examine what is expected of a person with the status of parent, child, partner, significant other and family member. How is that person playing their role differently than in the past and how can they imagine playing that role in the next 10 years, if present trends continue.
2. Racial-Ethnic families have been seen to be particularly active, using human agency to enhance family survival and institute new developing family formations. Choose a group and explain the structural factors that influenced how this group’s families honored their ideals and values and formed family systems. Discuss the trend of this formation; what do you expect to be the same and different in 10 years based on the evidence of today or the past.
3. Same sex partners and families are increasingly becoming the subject of academic study. Explain what researchers are finding about gay families in terms of longevity of relationship, parenting, and civil rights. Some uniqe social problems are faced, like lack of institutional recognition, and some common challenges exist, like power dynamics turning abusive. Evaluate the recent progress of recognition and community validation of the gay and lesbian family and assess the potential for change in the next 10 years.
4. Using the Power and Control wheel, a teaching tool for families, examine the value of teaching family members about power and its abuse. Examine the incidence of domestic violence, the efforts to end it, and the possibilities for change.
5. Examine why, according to the Children’s Defense Fund, “Poverty is the single best predictor if child abuse and neglect. .”(p.379, quoted in Diversity in Families, 2008). Examine the causes that make up this trend and suggest the remedies.
6. Social scientists and others can calculated improved futures for children when investment is made in early childhood education. Explain at least one of these calculations. Assess whether, locally or globally, the decision will be made to improve the life chances of children.
7. Evaluate a state or country regarding its family-supportive government and employer responses to families. In doing the evaluation, present facts about the supportive response. Explain either how this response reflects the values and beliefs of the state or country or how this response communicates values and beliefs to the family members, especially to the children or elderly.
8. Evaluate teenage childbearing. Discuss the social construction of intimacy and sexuality as it becomes known to the developing child. Explain how the gendered messages and expectations suggest a romantic and sexual union is reasonable and positive. Given the logic of teenage romance and sexuality, consider one or two family or societal contributions to this logic.
9. Consider the existence of double consciousness for the racial-ethnic family member. What does the conscious parent teach the child about the educational system and/or the occupational structure. W.E.B. Du Bois wrote The Souls of Black Folks in 1903, offering the theory that for African Americans, the achievement of double consciousness was a matter of survival and empowerment. According to Du Bois, it was important to both understand the majority view of Black folks, and also to understand personal and community values, achievement and goals. This is a burden of racism, and also an understanding of personal and community agency. How do parents teach about this today, and what facts and relevant patterns are important for them to explain? This can be a comparative project, for example, how is the task of an African American or Hispanic parent different than in some specified previous time period. When doing this kind of topic, make sure to limit it in scope enough so that you support your points with references and also explain them yourself.
Suggested Outline for Written Analysis: This is an example of how you could plan your project.
The Working Class Family and Changing Parental Status and Responsibilities
Changes in work and/or residence:
Facts about type of work and hours, how this works with parenting.
Facts about residential insecurity, the effect on the family.
[With each of the above, explain what sources contribute as well as your own
explanation about what is going on with the parental relationship.]
This analysis is constructed by bringing in the changes in the structural variables related to the family, fully explaining them and how they make the family’s life different.
Next, consider one or more family role, for example parenting. How is the parent’s time or ability to provide enhanced life chances effected by the change in income or residential insecurity.
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.