Essay on critical issue in mathematics education
Discuss a critical issue in mathematics education. Issues will include the nature of mathematical understanding, inclusion and social justice in mathematics education, language in mathematics, school mathematics curriculum, assessment in mathematics, and numeracy and mathematics. You will be provided with a discussion starter for the topic.
1. Discussion of significance of topic;
2. Breadth and depth of reading and synthesis;
3. Capacity to reflect on readings in the light of personal experience; and
4. Quality of academic writing.
Stimulus: “In reality, no one can teach mathematics. Effective teachers are those who can stimulate students to learn mathematics. Educational research offers compelling evidence that students learn mathematics well only when they construct their own mathematical understanding.” Everybody Counts: A Report to the Nation on the Future of Mathematics Education (1989) Mathematical Sciences Education Board (MSEB)
What is constructivism? What are some of the arguments for or against a constructivist approach to teaching? What does constructivism look like in practice in the mathematics classroom?
You are required to submit a written paper of 1500 to 2000 words. The paper will follow the format of a piece of academic writing, such as that found in journal articles and must include:
• An abstract of 80 to 100 words including a clear statement of the issue being explored and its importance in mathematics education;
• A literature survey summarising significant viewpoints and competing perspectives;
• Discussion of the issue, addressing some or all of the key questions;
• Discussion of relevant personal experience;
• Conclusions; and
• A reference list.
Note that the abstract and reference lists are included in the word count. The reference list should include between five and ten references, all of which must be cited in the text, and all of which must have been read.
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.