Description The assignment is to write a “critical” book review (NOTE: Critical does not mean, necessarily, negative). Each review should be a MINIMUM of 1200 and a MAXIMUM of 2400 words in length, typed, and double-spaced. Use a standard 10- or 12-point font, and use 1” margins. The book review should be carefully written, thoroughly proofed, and represent your best effort. Suggested paper organization Thesis: Identify the thesis or theses of the book. NOTE: The thesis refers to the author’s argument, and generally goes beyond the topic or subject matter. What point is the author trying to make? Demonstrate that you understand the author’s purpose in writing the book. Synopsis: Respond to all of the synopsis questions. The purpose of this is to present a brief overview of the book. Discuss the methods, sources, strengths and weaknesses of the book. Did the author propose new approaches, use any major new documents, propose new interpretations, challenge existing interpretations, rehash old information in new ways? Evaluation: Did the author accomplish what he/she set out to do? Was the thesis adequately supported? Was the evidence powerful enough? Of what value or use is the book? Did you enjoy or like the book? Give your judgment of the book: interesting, boring, provocative, significant, or whatever, and explain how or why you came to that conclusion. If you did not like the book, say so, and support your opinion with solid evidence. Homeward Bound: American Families in the Cold War Era In the SYNOPSIS portion of your book review be sure to address specifically the following points and questions.
1. How did the domestic ideal of the nuclear family develop in post-World War II America, in spite of widespread rootlessness and a seemingly chaotic world?
2. How did the Great Depression create a profound “tension between traditional domestic roles and challenges to these roles”?
3. How did the “short-lived affirmation of women’s independence” during World War II give way to “a pervasive endorsement of female subordination and domesticity” after the war?
4. Describe the connections between sexual chaos and the cold war. What implications did these connections have for American women?
5. Describe the varying reactions to premarital sex and its implications for marital happiness during the Cold War years, paying particular attention to the double standard that existed for women.
6. During the early cold war era, how did parenthood “compensate for the thwarted expectations in other areas” of people’s lives? What were the implications of the baby boom for the planned use of birth control?
7. Describe the impact that the rampant consumerism of the postwar years had on American family life.
8. Discuss the ways in which “compromise, accommodation, and lowered expectations were solutions for many disappointed people who still clung to the ideal of domestic containment.”
9. How and why did “the baby-boom children who grew up in suburban homes [abandon] the containment ethos when they came of age? Be sure to discuss the author’s methodology and the Kelly Longitudinal Study as well the only sourse that is needed/allowed is the book
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more