Case Study: The Broadway Café
In this assignment you will work in a group of 3 or 4 students (all group members MUST be from the same tutorial group) and undertake an information systems case study. The case study aims to have you apply the skills and knowledge you have developed in information systems theory, systems modelling, systems types, business processes, impacts, and so on, to a real situation. You will use a Web 2.0 tool – a business wiki – to develop and submit your assignment. This may involve modeling the work/business processes in the situation, describing various scenarios of use, stakeholder identification, attributes and needs, preparing some models, such as rich pictures and process models, evaluating web pages etc. You will need to:
- Produce a business wiki that includes answers to the assignment questions;
- Present the interesting findings of your assignment to your tutorial class; and
- Use a Moodle forum as groupware to assist your group in collaborating on the project, and reflect on your experience of how the groupware supported you in the assignment.
This assignment will be based on the case study provided by Baltzan et al at http://www.cohesioncase.com– the Broadway Café. You will work on this case study to help bring all of the ISO unit concepts together. We start by pretending that you have inherited your grandfather’s coffee shop that started in 1952 and still operates like it is 1952! Your group needs to bring the cafe into the 21st century. It will require that you apply a true business approach to solving issues with IS/IT and allowing you to work hands-on with many of the concepts covered in the unit, such as:
- How to gain competitive advantage;
- Supply Chain Management (SCM);
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP);
- e-business; and
- Software Development processes.
Note that you may need to make some assumptions about the nature of the work in the Broadway Café in order to complete some aspects of this assignment (based on your own experience of cafés). It is acceptable to make such assumptions, however they should all be properly documented in your wiki. For example, you could assume that your Café has a special function room. You may even like to visit some real cafés to build up your knowledge.
Your group needs to develop a business wiki. Your wiki should include the following:
Part 1 – Internal and External data
Remember that an organisation creates and uses both internal and external data. Identify 5 categories of internal data and 5 categories of external data and discuss how that data is relevant to the Broadway Café.
Part 2 – Stakeholders
Describe the main business activities of the Broadway Café and the stakeholders. This should include:
- a general description of the Broadway Café and its primary activities, (drawing using Visio )using Alter’s work system framework;
- a rich picture (drawing using Visio ) focussing on the human activity system (HAS) aspects of the Broadway Café and the concerns of the key stakeholders; and
- a more complete description of the key stakeholders, including why they are stakeholders, their concerns, and their relationships with other stakeholders.
Part 3 – Competitive Advantage
Part of your job in bringing the café into the 21st century is to position it for competitive advantage. Using the diagram at http://www.cohesioncase.com/cc_diagram.html, click on Competitive Advantage and do one of the following exercises:
- Business Dilemma; OR
- Apply your knowledge (which will require you to build a decision support tool).
Part 4 – E-business and Collaboration
It is also important to have your new café use an e-business model. Using the diagram at http://www.cohesioncase.com/cc_diagram.html, select one question from the following (this allows you to select a question that is relevant to your diploma/degree course):
- e-business – Making Business Decisions II;
- CRM – Making Business Decisions II;
- SCM – Making Business Decisions I;
- ERP – Making Business Decisions 1;
- Collaboration – Business Dilemma;
- Business Intelligence – Making Business Decisions I.
Part 5 – Effective use of Wikis
As this assignment is focused on developing a wiki similar to that used in real organisations, this part requires you to do the following for the Broadway Café:
- Create two FAQ pages (Frequently Asked Questions):
- One for customers; and
- Once for employees.
You need to think about the normal questions that customers might ask of a cafe and put the questions and the answers on the FAQ. Likewise for employees – what are the normal questions they might ask, and what should the answers be? You need a minimum of 4 questions with answers for each of the FAQ pages.
- Create a customer feedback page. Once created, this page will allow your tutor to pose as a customer of the cafe. They will post three questions with the following themes:
- A compliment related to the customer’s experience at your cafe;
- A complaint related to the customer’s experience at your cafe; and
- A general question about the cafe.
Once your tutor has posed the questions, you are to answer them and you will be marked on how you respond to the questions.
you should draw a rich picture and Alter”s work system framework as a part of the assignment.
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.