II. In this assignment we continue with concepts relating to arguments, what they are, the formal nature of arguments, validity and invalidity, the difference between an argument and an explanation.
The information you need to do this exercise can be found in Chapters 1, 2 , 3.1 and 3.2 of your text book.
1. An invalid argument cannot have all true premises and a true conclusion. True or False. Explain in 2 or 3 sentences.
2. ” Q because P ” can express either an argument or an explanation. In your own words, indicate what is the specific difference between an argument and an explanation. 2 or 3 sentences. ( The general difference is the purpose to be served by the given information; this question asks for the specific difference.)
3. Give an example of a sentence ( one sentence) which combines the informative and directive functions of language. ( Your example must be one which is not included in your text.)
4. Cite an example of a difference in belief which you have had with someone. ( Again, don’t choose an example from your text. And remember, this question is not about religious belief, though it could be. )
5. Again, do not take an example from your text, but from your own experience, write an example of an argument which is inductive in nature. Identify the premises by a “P” in front of each of them, and place a “C” before the conclusion.
5 points each, Total : 25 points.
For 5 points extra credit you may answer #6.:
6. In Chapter 2, p. 39 the authors present this passage: “Racially diverse nations tend to have lower levels of social support than homogeneous ones. People don’t feel as bound together when they are divided on ethnic lines and are less likely to embrace mutual support programs. You can have diversity or a big welfare state. It’s hard to have both.”
Paraphrase the passage to show the argument or arguments. Indicate the premises and conclusion[s]
Place an order of a custom essay for this assignment with us now. You are guaranteed; a custom premium paper being delivered within its deadline, personalized customer support and communication with your writer through out the order preparation period.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more